Sunday, January 12, 2014

Piggy banks stage 2: templates

The Lotus pig design came together first because of this image:

I knew it was 'too busy' to attempt (especially since the lotus in this book is about 12" in diameter, and on the pig, I had about 5", max. But I liked this so much, I finally stopped digging my heels in and did the math for a 10-point lotus instead of an 8-point one.

Here's the difference: To get an 8-point design, all you need to do is fold a piece of paper in half once, twice, three times, and there you have it. It creates eight evenly spaced straight lines.

To make a 10-point design, first I found my centre and laid down concentric circles. Then I quartered the paper and inked out the first 2 lines. Then, with a ruler that is so bendable I can wrap it around a twoonie (for non-Canadians, this is our $2 coin), and measured, in millimetres, the length of each arc between the 4 quartered points along the outermost circle, the middle circle, and the inner-most circle. Then I broke each measurement into five. Since this entire template is only about 5", all of the measurements were partial millimetres. Then I marked down each division point (yes, I did this all the way around the entire design, not just on half so I could make sure it was precise as possible) and drew in each line.

So, my first template has 20 sections marked out.
After I had the initial template, I made a smaller template of each individual large petal, and the tiny sub petal, laid them out, and drew them on.

By this time, I was on my 6th template as I had to discard several along the way.

Finally I ended up with:
I taped down the centre and four points, then carefully outlined each petal. Because the paper is flat, and the pig was round, it's difficult to make sure everything remains even because when you bend the paper down, the surface to draw on is smaller than the template. To make sure I didn't end up with lopsidedly spaced petals, I held down three petals at a time and drew from each point down towards the centre. Due to spacing, the sub-petals ended up nearly non-existent.

Here's the final inked-on design for the top of the Lotus Pig. My first big mistake of this project: the Micron pens rub off easily, so further work was very time-consuming/finicky.



Here's the main inspirational image for the top design of the Sleepy Pig. I took in inner blue design and modified it. The main reason I ended up choosing something along this line is because it was 8 sided, which is lucky, and it left a good blank centre where I could later include Chinese characters.

My first start of the template. Making the final template only took about an hour, compared to the 3 hours it took to make the template for the Lotus Pig.
Second stage of the template.
The longest part of making this template was squaring off every bit of the 'T' shape. If you click on the picture to see it bigger, you'll see what I mean. Again, remember I'm working off a template that is less than 5" in diameter. Each line in the 'T' shapes are just a little over 1/4" thick. Squaring off those was... straining on the eyes, and on my problematic right hand/arm.
And here's the design inked on. To extend the corner lines, I actually laid down strips of thin tape so I could make 100% sure the lines would be a consistent width.

See how the coin slot isn't centred? Grrrr... still bothers me... It actually is slightly angled to the right, as well as being too far forward. Made it very difficult to put this design on straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment